To raise vines is like to raise children: the most difficult part is not to hurry and not to impose – we must understand them and find ways to get the best out of them.
Location: Località Badia, in the plains half way between the villages of Castagneto Carducci and Bolgheri, about 5 km from the Tyrrhenian sea.
Vineyard area: 7.5 ha or 19.0 acres
Grape Varietals: Cabernet Sauvignon 4.5 ha, Cabernet Franc 1 ha, Syrah 1 ha, Viognier and Vermentino 1ha.
Vines: planting density 6900 vines/ha, unilateral cordon; all vines are from France, we planted 5 different Cabernet Sauvignon clones for best blend of aroma and complexity.
Terroir: The soil consists of various mixes of sand, pebbles and clay, partly brought by rivers and streams down from the hills, partly left behind by tidal flows from the sea. The terrain is at 10-20 m above sea level and was until some 50 years ago of typical marshlands of the Maremma, which explains the significant variations in the mineral composition of the soils (in leopard spots) for flatlands. The climate is hot days tempered by the winds from the sea and the hills, with cool nights resulting in a special micro climate, ideal for Cabernet.
- All vineyard works are by hand
- Management is according to culture raisonnée principles, respecting nature to the maximum.
- We practice careful canopy/leaf management throughout the year in function of prevailing climate conditions to optimize maturation process, aggressive green harvest to keep yields low for concentration of flavors.
- Harvesting is by hand during September/October.
- Production averages some 55,000 bottles per year, essentially about 1 bottle per vine.